M.B. Govt. Post Graduate College Haldwani was established in the Year 1960 as a private degree college sponsored by Moti Ram Babu Ram Educational Trust to cater to the needs of higher education of the youths of Haldwani and surrounding areas.
It was affiliated to Agra university till 1973 and with the establishment of the Kumaun University Nainital in 1974. The College got affiliated to it. In the larger interest of the students and other stakeholders Government of Uttar Pradesh took over the management of the college from Moti Ram Babu Ram Educational Trust in 1982 and it became a Government college managed and funded by the state government. It is recognized by University Grants Commission under section 2 [F] and 12[b] of the UGC act 1956. Besides, receiving funds from the state government, college also receives funds from UGC and other central government funding agencies for general development and research projects. State government took an important decision in the 2004 to develop this college as an ideal college of Nainital district with the aim of improving the quality of higher education.